An Education with Every Disaster
Seven inches of rain in less than 8 hours is an epic storm, but furthermore, Elsa, Henri, and Ida make 3 inundating rainstorms in 7 weeks. Wow!
So, what did we learn for the future?
Here are some thoughts coming out of Ida:
- Sump pumps are not effective against this much rain in such a short amount of time.
- It might be time to consider flood insurance seeing how you do not need to be in a flood zone to have heavy rain exposure.
- Making a water damage claim of any kind from a massive flood to a leaky toilet can impact the ability to sell your home. Insurers are hesitating on homes with previous water damage claims.
- Generators should be isolated from any water runoff.
- Finished basements should be modest to minimize the loss.
- Using your basement for storage creates more risk.
In every challenge there is a lesson, and your education from Ida should be used for future planning.